Men’s haircut in grunge style is a hairstyle of the second half of the 20th century, which has not lost its relevance to this day. In this article, read about the features of the hairstyle, the options for styling it, as well as who it is suitable for.
What a haircut looks like: options
In translation, «grunge» means «dirt», and this word well describes the whole essence of the hairstyle. The hair should be styled, but slightly (or strongly) tousled. Grunge makes it feel like a man just recently woke up and didn’t take care of his head.
There are several options for haircuts:
- Wet look… To create such a haircut, it is necessary to use special styling products with a strong hold that will last from morning to evening. Depending on the type of hair, you can take gel-wax;
- With fleece… One of the most stylish options for men who like to be in the spotlight. The hair is either laid on one side or raised;
- Grunge chic… It is considered an elite variation of the hairstyle and is suitable for people who like to wear shirts and suits. To create a haircut, high styling is done, and the whiskey is shaved short with a machine. Often the hairstyle is done for short hair.
There are other variations on this popular haircut.
To whom does
Men’s grunge haircut will suit any representative of the stronger sex. However, before getting a haircut, it is worth considering some features:
- men with an asymmetrical and rounded head are not recommended choosing a short haircut, as it will focus on the flaws;
- for people with a high forehead, grunge with bangs will suit, as it will make it visually lower;
- long curls will hide the ears and are suitable for men with an elongated face.
Grunge goes well with casual wear, office style or tracksuit.
You don’t have to go to a salon to create a grunge haircut. You can do it yourself if a person knows how to carefully use scissors. The procedure differs depending on the chosen haircut variation.
In general, the algorithm for short hair is as follows:
- Wash and dry your hair.
- Gently comb the entire length of the hair.
- Use scissors to trim the bangs to the desired length. For men with a high forehead, bangs will help visually reduce it.
- Move to the temporal area. They can be shaved off or milled with scissors. Also, the strands at the temples can be made uneven to create casualness.
- Further, the hair is shaved off or filleted at the back of the head.
- Re-wet the hair in the parietal area. Set the desired length and cut the hair evenly across the entire plane. In the parietal zone, you can additionally work out with a thinning razor.
- Thin your bangs with a razor.
- Dry your hair and work additionally with thinning scissors.
- sharp scissors;
- thinning scissors and razor;
- a hairdryer;
- water spray.
The procedure for trimming medium-length hair is slightly different. Here, the hair needs to be processed from above with thinning scissors. The temporal and occipital area can be shaved off with a clipper or set with scissors. If you are not sure if you can follow the above algorithm, it is recommended to go to the salon for the first time.
Styling and care options
You can do it yourself in a few minutes.
To make grunge for medium hair, follow a simple algorithm:
- Wash and dry your hair.
- Comb gently through the hair.
- Take a mousse and apply it evenly on your palms.
- Apply the product evenly on separate strands of 2 cm thick.
- To add volume, re-comb your hair. You can also additionally pull out your hair with an iron with a corrugation attachment. But if the hair, and since it holds the volume well, then this is not necessary.
Compared to medium hair, short hair is styled much faster:
- Wash your hair and dry your hair.
- Comb the curls in the desired direction.
- Rub the styling product evenly in your hands and apply it to the hair, lifting it up.
For men with straight hair, the hairstyle may lose shape by the end of the day. To avoid this, choose products with medium or strong hold, depending on the type of hair.
Important! There should not be too much styling product, otherwise the curls will become unnecessarily oily.
Grunge looks great on men with long hair, too. To create a styling, follow a few steps:
- After shampooing, dry it with a round brush. You can also dry your hair with your head down. This will give the curls tousled and volume.
- Fix the effect with varnish, and spread the individual strands randomly.
- For a more stylish look, you can wear a headband or braid.
If the working conditions dictate a neat hairstyle, collect them in a ponytail at the top or along the entire length.
Advantages and disadvantages
Like any other haircut, this one has certain advantages and disadvantages. First, about the pros:
- Simple styling… Grunge does not require regular brushing, as it creates a tousled effect;
- Makes the look stylish and modern… Grunge is one of the most popular haircuts in present day;
- Universalism… The hairstyle is suitable for men with any face type and hair length, and can be combined with casual, sporty or office style. The hairstyle matches perfectly with a clean-shaven face, as well as stubble or beard.
Of the minuses, stylists highlight the fact that it will be difficult for men with curly or excessively thick hair to maintain the desired shape.
While grunge suits the office style, this hairstyle is not recommended for men working in companies with a strict dress code. Show up for a business meeting with disheveled hair would not be entirely appropriate.
Men’s grunge haircut is a versatile hairstyle that will suit men with any face shape and style of clothing. Before creating a haircut, familiarize yourself with its features and decide on the length. Try not to apply a lot of wax when styling, as excess wax will make your scalp greasy.