Cuff links are an accessory that adds elegance to a man’s wardrobe. For the stronger sex, this jewelry can be a pleasant surprise and a welcome purchase. Do not think that decorative fasteners are the lot of the elite. Everyone can master the use of an elegant alternative to buttons. We will tell you about how to wear cuff links on a shirt correctly and what you need to know about them in this article.
What are they required for
The main purpose of cuff links is to fasten the cuff of a shirt. The history of decorative fasteners began in the XX century. With the development of the industry, buttons have supplanted accessories for binding sleeves, but handicrafts are still sewn with cuff link slots today.
The loops on the cuff are located in such a way that, when combined with each other, they can be fastened with a decorative element of a man’s wardrobe. After slipping through the holes along the edge of the sleeve, the clasps snap into place and hold the sides of the cuff securely.
Attention! Traditionally, jewelry is used on French cuffs, which consist of two layers of fabric with a lapel. These shirts are worn in combination with a classic tuxedo.
What are cuff links
Decorative fasteners are made of different materials, but precious metals are in the greatest demand. Most often, men prefer jewelry made of silver, gold and platinum.
We must not forget that cuff links should not go against the general style and other accessories. Various options from chrome to diamonds are considered as jewelry.
In addition to silver, gold and platinum, cuff links can be made from:
- sterling silver;
- carbon fiber;
- precious stones;
- rose gold;
- of stainless steel;
Cuff links are classified according to the method of attachment:
- Rotating pins are the most popular fastener. Most frequently, men choose accessories with moving parts because of the convenience of jewelry in use;
- Threaded hinged clasps require some skill to put on, but are considered the most reliable;
- Cuff links on a chain, without a certain skill, are quite difficult to fix. They are attached by means of two chains connected together. In this case, the cuffs are not tightly fixed;
- The advantage of the «rod» shape is the immobility of the elements; such a design allows increasing the service life of the product. To learn how to attach such jewelry, you need to practice;
- Flat-fastened cuff links are easy to fasten and fit snugly around your shirt.
By symmetry, decorative fasteners are:
- asymmetrical — only one side of the decoration is decorated;
- symmetrical — both parts are the same;
Basic rules of wearing
- Since the first cuff links were made, this jewelry is considered a sign of aristocracy and good manners, they are capricious and require proper use.
Note! A decorative detail of a man’s wardrobe should be visible and invisible at the same time.
- When choosing accessories, you should make sure that they are combined not only with the color of the suit, but also look harmonious with a tie clip, as well as the owner’s wristwatch;
- Yellow metal cuff links require the rest of the jewelry to be in the same style and color. If the design of the clasp includes gems, then the same breed must be used in the tie clip.
- An elegant masculine look is perfection in every detail. Blue clothes are suitable for a set of jewelry made of steel or silver; for gold and bronze items, it is better to choose suits in classic colors.
Attention! Accessories with natural stones emphasize the style and status of a man. Expensive jewelry should be viewed as a good investment in the future.
How to properly put on a decorative fastener on a shirt
How to put on cuff links:
- Put on a suitable shirt;
- Bring your hand forward. With the French type of shirt, you must first tuck the edge of the sleeve. Then you need to combine the cuff slots;
- Bend your arm at the elbow and insert the fastener with the decor up;
- On the inside of the cuff, fasten the cuff link in a suitable way;
- The same steps should be done with the second cuff;
- When the accessories have taken their place, it is recommended to stretch out your arms and evaluate the symmetry and height of their location;
- It’s time to put on a jacket, its sleeves should hide the jewelry, according to the rules, decorative fasteners are shown only at the moment of bending the arms.
Knowing how to wear cuff links on a French shirt will help showcase the elegance of your look.
Now let’s look at how to put cuff links on a shirt with buttons?
No need to be upset if there is no French-style shirt with cuffs in your wardrobe. Cuff links can be combined with a regular shirt. However, the holes in the cuffs will have to be done on their own.
Considering that there is already one slot on the cuff (it was provided by the manufacturer), you will need to make another one. To do this, you require cutting off the button and bast a loop in its place. Now it remains to cut a hole, after which you can combine the shirt with a suitable male decoration.
Attention! If the procedure is violated, the slot may not be neat
How to properly wear cuff links on a shirt, we will tell below.
How to pair cuff links with shirts
Men’s shirts with what cuffs can I use to wear cuff links?
The cuffs on the shirt are of great importance, because they set the overall style. Considering things to buy, it should be borne in mind that cuffs are divided into several types. However, not all of them are suitable for wearing accessories.
- Italian cuff.
- French cuff.
- Vienna cuff.
The Italian cuff is familiar to everyone. It is made of a single layer of fabric and fastens with a button. The sleeve of such a shirt does not imply the wearing of decorative fasteners, therefore the cuff is devoid of slits. If the wardrobe only holds this type of shirts, it makes sense to reconsider the wardrobe.
The French cuff, on the other hand, provides for the wearing of cuff links. It consists of two layers of fabric with a turn-up and has no buttons. This is the only type of shirt that goes well with a tuxedo, and as you know, it implies the presence of beautiful and style-appropriate fasteners. The advantage of the French cuff is that shirts with it can also be used to create less formal looks, for example, for a sporty or office style.
The Vienna cuff is suitable for both buttons and cuff links. It is a combination cuff, combining French and Italian style. Such a shirt can be worn not only under a jacket, but also under a tailcoat, although true connoisseurs of fashion are skeptical about this advantage.
Thus, choosing the type of cuff is an important step that should be given special attention.
How and when to wear cuff jewelry
Cuff links set an accent in the formation of the image of a successful man; they can be worn with any shirts that have holes on the cuffs.
If there are no slits on the sleeves, you can contact the nearest atelier, the tailors will remove the button and make a small loop. So, technically, this accessory can be worn with any shirt, from the one used for business meetings to the old flannel shirt.
By the way, the second option is often chosen by modern hipsters. Representatives of this subculture love to mix high fashion with low. They are not afraid of experiments and create unique images.
It is not necessary to buy ready-made products presented in the store, real exclusive wardrobe items can be made to order. Most frequently, jewelers make personalized or themed accessories. You can create jewelry with a company logo or family crest.
Here are some guidelines on how to wear cuff links and how to choose the right ones:
- The color of the decorative sleeve closure should match the other accessories of the wearer. Silver will always make friends with silver, and gold creates a successful union with gold;
- It is not recommended to wear plastic or sports watches with French-style shirts. In this case, it will not be possible to select suitable fasteners;
- A successful combination of cuff links with a business card holder or belt buckle emphasizes the good taste of a man;
- For those who do not tolerate monotony, there are whole sets of fasteners, in which several popular models are presented to create suitable images.
A man who knows how to put on cuff links and uses this skill in everyday life will never be left out.