A man is always confident that he knows how to shave properly. Perhaps it is, if no problems arise. And if they are still present, then perhaps you are simply not aware of some of the nuances of shaving. In order not to make mistakes in the future, we recommend that you read this article, from which you will learn how to effectively and correctly shave with an electric razor.
Shaving with an electric razor is more nuanced than a straight razor or razor. Indeed, in this case, it is necessary to take into account the preparation of the skin, and the correct algorithm of actions, and technical aspects. So, let’s look inside and out of how to use a modern electric shaver, and start with the question of its choice.
Which electric shaver to choose
Choosing the right and, most importantly, suitable device for you personally, you will kill two birds with one stone — increase the quality of shaving and extend the life of the device. Manufacturers produce two main types of electric shavers: mesh and rotary. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages. The foil shaver is very easy to understand, it consists of two functional elements:
- a movable knife that moves frequently (2-3 times / sec);
- a knife that looks like a net is fixed, with small holes.
The peculiarity of such a device is that after using it, a small bristle remains on the face. If you need such a result (after all, bristles are brutal!), Then feel free to choose a model of just such a plan.
As for the rotary shaver, its design looks a little different:
- movable rotating knives;
- round fixed knives.
For sensitive skin, an electric shaver with a mesh is much better because it does not come into direct contact with the surface of the skin. However, this does not mean that the rotary in this case is not at all suitable. But you will have to choose softening and soothing cosmetics for use with it. They will be discussed in more detail below.
Preparing to shave
The main thing to do before starting the procedure is to steam your face well. As a rule, the skin is steamed in the shower or when washing with warm water. To do this, you need to wash your face correctly: 3-4 times in a row, then wait until the water is absorbed and wash yourself again. This is the golden rule for how to shave with an electric razor without irritation.
The process will take only about five minutes, but will significantly increase the elasticity of the skin, prevent painful sensations while shaving. It is better not to shave on dry skin, it is fraught with irritation and skin wounds, or just unpleasant sensations.
A little tip: if there is no hot water where you are and there is no way to get it, give a vigorous massage with your fingers in the area of the chin and cheeks. This instantly increases blood circulation, which ultimately also leads to increased skin elasticity and shaving comfort.
What to shave with? Choosing a remedy
There are hundreds of cosmetic products for men on store shelves today, and this is not surprising: the further technology advances, the more innovative products manufacturers produce. And the more comfortable the shaving process becomes for the strong half of humanity.
Let’s briefly go through the main types of such funds:
- Foam… The most popular option that can be found in any man’s bathroom. Its advantages include an airy, light texture, instant absorption, as well as economical use with a dispensing button.
- Gel… The tool is relatively new, but has already caught up with foam in popularity. Pros: Provides easy glide of the shaving device, transparency (helps to bypass pimples or moles), perfectly protects against irritations, does not require a thick layer. In addition, special gels with silicone or bactericidal composition help to heal minor skin lesions.
- Mousse… Ideal for gentle irritation protection. Promotes the production of collagen, creatine and protein — substances that improve the condition of the skin.
- Oil… Not everyone has even heard of such a tool, nevertheless, it exists and it works perfectly. Before starting the process, the oil is applied to a cleanly washed face, and a foam or gel is already on top. Thanks to this method, the top layer of the skin is not peeled off, and this reduces to zero the likelihood of irritation when you shave with a rotary or foil razor.
There are rotary electric shavers with an interesting function — they are filled with a special cartridge with an air conditioner. As you shave, this conditioner is gradually released, softening the skin in the process, flushing out cut hairs and lubricating the razor mechanism at the same time.
What is usually included in such an air conditioner:
- natural refreshing flavor — limonene;
- additional perfume;
- isopropanol (a substitute for conventional medical alcohol), is used to dissolve fats;
- A cationic surfactant is a type of detergent.
Be careful not to get the air conditioner in your eyes; if this happens, they should be rinsed immediately with plenty of clean water. But this tool significantly reduces the time spent on caring for an electric shaver.
Now we turn directly to hair removal, since there are a lot of nuances there.
Features of wet and dry shaving
As the name suggests, wet shaving with an electric razor involves the use of a variety of moisturizers for skin care. And dry allows you to do without them. It should be said right away that in the second case, it will be correct to shave with a mesh electric razor. This is due to the fact that it does not lean as close to the skin as a rotary one.
How to shave with an electric shaver (mesh and rotary)
Unlike shaving off the stubble with a hand-held razor, using an electric razor does not require you to move your hand in a sweeping motion. On the contrary, you need to act slowly and carefully. Do not press the device too hard against your face to avoid damaging the skin.
Here’s how to shave with a rotary electric razor: roll its heads in smooth, gentle movements in a circle, from time to time puffing out your cheeks or pushing your chin forward (this allows you to achieve maximum smoothness).
If we are talking about the mesh type, then here the movements will not be circular, but from top to bottom or bottom to top, that is, in the direction of hair growth. In this case, the skin should be slightly stretched.
Can I shave with an electric shaver using foam or gel? Of course, yes. Electric shavers are designed specifically for use in the bathroom and are therefore always waterproof.
About wet shaving, we can say that this is an action in which the razor comes into contact with a special tool, but not only — some simply shave under running water. However, this can only be done with the highest quality models. If the water resistance is insufficient, that is, the quality of the product is low, this threatens to damage the device.
If you’ve just got yourself an electric shaver, don’t be surprised if you don’t get the perfect result right away. It will take a few days before you learn to accurately control the direction and force of pressing.
There are pros and cons to both frequent and rare shaving. Therefore, the choice depends solely on your preferences, and on several more physiological factors:
- age — the older a man, the faster his beard grows;
- testosterone level — the amount of the main male hormone is directly proportional to the rate of hair growth;
- nationality — the beard grows faster among the southern peoples than among the northern ones;
- individual health characteristics.
Separately, it should be said about the sensitivity of the skin. Even if you generally do not suffer from irritations, the skin is still injured if the top layer of the skin is touched when shaving. Therefore, at least on weekends or on vacation, it is recommended to give her a rest.
After you have successfully shaved with an electric razor, do not rush to leave the bathroom. Your skin will thank you if you additionally lubricate it with some kind of sedative. This will help her to recover faster, become smooth and pleasant to the touch. A nice bonus is a fresh scent that girls really like.
Let’s take a look at several types of aftershave.
- Balm… It moisturizes the skin very strongly without weighing it down. Possesses antibacterial properties. Stimulates the restoration of the epidermis and at the same time enhances its protective functions by forming an invisible surface layer.
- Lotion… It resembles water in consistency, so it does not leave the skin feeling oily. Absorbs and dries very quickly. Disinfects small wounds due to the alcohol content.
- Gel… Possesses anti-inflammatory and disinfecting properties. May dry skin due to alcohol content, so people with dry skin should choose an alcohol-free option. Also sometimes gels with UV protection and complexes of various vitamins are produced.
- Cream… Has a dense and oily texture, it is relevant for the care of dry skin. Unfortunately, it can clog pores and contribute to acne.
- Cologne… Some people continue to use this tool in the old-fashioned way, but not everyone’s skin allows it to do it — colognes dry the face a lot, and also contain a lot of tannins.
- Stone from cuts… Although there are almost never cuts when shaving with an electric razor, just in case we will tell you about this unusual tool. Correctly this remedy is called alum. Alum is composed of aluminum and potassium salts. After shaving, you can apply them to your cuts. These stones quickly stop the blood, kill germs and form an invisible film on the wound that protects the nerve endings, so that the wound will not hurt if you accidentally touch it.
How to properly care for your electric shaver
After wet shaving, the device must be rinsed in warm water. Unplug it from the outlet, let it run on batteries. Apply a small amount of a cleanser, such as liquid soap, to the blades. When switched on, rinse under running water. It is also worth removing and washing the shaving head separately. Turn off the shaver and dry it well before putting it back together.
If you practice dry shaving, just use the included brush for cleaning. Turn on the device (only from the battery, not from the socket), remove the blades and the net, remove the shaved bristles from the inside with a brush. Just do not brush the cutting part, as this may damage it. Put everything back together.
You also need to remember a few important rules, under which the electric shaver will last as long as possible:
- always unplug it when not in use;
- clean regularly as described above;
- change or lubricate cutting parts every six months;
- also completely discharge and charge the battery every six months.
For your safety: never use an appliance with poorly insulated wire or giving off a burning smell. If this smell appears while shaving, immediately unplug the device and inspect for any problems, or have it repaired by a specialist.
You have learned all about how to shave properly with an electric razor and how to care for your skin before and after shaving. Having this information is extremely important — after all, the stereotype that only girls can take care of their appearance has long gone into the past. Moreover, the condition of the skin refers not only to appearance, but also to health.
And on a healthy and tidy face, a confident smile will look much better than on a cut and covered with a rash.