Beard balm is a special product that helps to give facial hair an aesthetic appearance. With regular use, it helps to strengthen the structure of the hair, as a result of which it acquires a special shine, fits neatly and does not tangle.
Why do you need a beard balm
A bushy beard is still in vogue. But, due to the need to carry out regular care, not everyone can allow it to grow. Cosmetics manufacturers produce a whole series of products designed for bearded men, which include shampoos, conditioners, and perfumes. Among these products, a special place is given to balms that activate hair growth.
Beard oils have a number of advantages that make them popular:
- Gives a well-groomed look to the beard. As a result of using the balm, the hair becomes smoother, shinier, pleasant to the touch, and a pleasant, unobtrusive aroma emanates from them.
- They take care of the skin of the face. When styling a beard, the hair requires to be shaved frequently, which negatively affects the skin prone to irritation. Thanks to a specially developed composition, the balm softens the skin without clogging the pores and, at the same time, eliminates existing inflammation from growing hairs.
- Easy to apply. Taking care of your beard with balms is very simple and pleasant — they are easily distributed through the hair without leaving a greasy film. To give a silk shine, it is enough to apply a small amount of the product along the entire length of the vegetation.
A good beard balm consists of the following main ingredients:
- Oil base… Provides an even texture to the product, making it easy to apply. The base is most often represented by natural ingredients such as shea butter and cocoa.
- Beeswax… By enveloping the hairs with a soft shell, the wax gives the beard a certain shape. It also helps to retain moisture and nutrients within the hair structure.
- Essential oils… They are added to the balm to impart a pleasant scent and provide its additional properties (moisturizing, wound healing). Depending on the essential oil, the product can have a citrus, marine, woody or other aroma.
- Moisturizing oils… They are responsible for optimal hydration and nourishment of the hair, as well as giving it softness. The most common oils in the composition are jojoba, argan, almond.
Top 5 best beard balms on the market
Modern brands of men’s cosmetics produce a wide range of beard balms. They differ in composition, form of release, type of packaging. When choosing a suitable product, one should be guided by personal preferences, not forgetting to take into account individual characteristics: the type of skin, the thickness and thickness of the hair. The best beard balms come in a variety of products (you can vote for 3 favorites):
Citrus Splash by Borodist
A domestic brand that produces cosmetics exclusively for men at an affordable price. At the same time, its quality is in no way inferior to the products of foreign manufacturers. The balm has a pleasant aroma of citrus fruits and perfectly smooths unruly hair. Thanks to the presence of beeswax and natural plant extracts in the composition, it helps to grow a beautiful beard. The product is available in a 50 ml jar.
Wood and Spice from the Italian brand Proraso
The balm from a well-known European manufacturer is available in 100 ml bottles in the form of a light gel. It does not contain moisturizing oils, but contains extracts of useful plants and vitamin supplements. Easy to apply and spread without leaving marks, makes the beard soft and silky, eliminates irritation on the skin. A product with a pleasant cedar-citrus aroma.
Manly Original Balm «Winter Edition» by Barbershop Bradobray
The balm is intended for the care of facial hair in winter. It helps to protect the skin and hair from the negative effects of external factors, helps to renew their structures, normalize the main functions, and stimulates the course of recovery processes. The composition includes beeswax and mango oil, apricot kernels, poppy seeds.
The unique combination of components guarantees a soft enveloping of the hairs with an invisible film, which minimizes the effect of freezing even at sub-zero temperatures. The product has an original aroma of pine needles with delicious sweetish notes. Available in volumes of 20 and 40 ml in jars with tight-fitting lids. The first option is convenient for use on the road, the second — at home.
How to use
In order for the beard balm to reveal its properties in full, it should be used in accordance with the recommendations:
- First, we cleanse the hair from accumulated dirt. If you apply the wax to unwashed hair, your beard will look greasy and unkempt. The vegetation must be thoroughly washed using a special shampoo or soap. Conventional products are not suitable in this case, as they can leave noticeable whitish marks.
- Dry your beard with a towel. Neglecting the recommendation will lead to a pointless waste of balm.
- We comb well. Detangling hair is best done with a wide-toothed comb or beard brush.
- Apply the balm to the vegetation. The minimum amount of solid product should be warmed up by wrinkling with your fingers. Then apply to the sides of the beard in a forward motion. During the procedure, you need to ensure that the product is evenly distributed.
- We are doing a massage. To stimulate growth, a small amount of the product must be gently rubbed into the hair roots, while massaging the growth zone.
- Modeling the shape. Using a hard wax-based balm allows you to shape your beard into the desired shape, smoothing unruly hairs. Liquid and gel products are for nourishing and hair care purposes only.
- We remove the excess. If too much skin care product has been applied to the beard, it should be removed. For this purpose, you require blotting your hair with a clean towel over the entire surface.
It is recommended to use balms based on wax and oils no more than three to four times a week, liquid products can be applied daily. Thanks to the natural ingredients in the composition, the risk of allergic reactions after the procedure is minimized. But with the manifestation of individual intolerance to one or another ingredient, which happens in rare cases, it is necessary to abandon the use of the product and replace it with another.